– Week 7 –
Welcome to our seventh class of Ayurvedic management and treatment (chikitsa)! This class’ focus is on the basic principles of Shamana or Palliation Therapy. Our scope of practice is within the confines of this range of therapies. Ayurveda uses these common dietary, herbal and lifestyle methods to effectively manage ama and the doshas in the surface tissues and systems, and prepare for deeper cleansing procedures.
Objectives for the current week’s lesson:
Introduce and implementation of Palliative Therapy
– Understand the 7 traditional forms:
– Dīpana: Herbs/spices that increasing agni
– Pācana: Herbs/spices that digest āma
– Kṣudhā nigraha: Control over diet including the use of fasting
– Tṛṣṇā nigraha: Control over water and oil intake
– Vyāyāma: Use of exercise
– Ātāpa sevana: Forms of creating heat without directly increasing agni such as sunbathing
– Māruta sevana: Ways to cool the body to protect pitta dosha such as moon walks
– Understand indications and contraindications for Palliation Therapy
– Discuss how to design a palliation program to correct an imbalance in each doṣa
– Learn how to implement effective applications of each therapy noted above
– Review Assessment of the client’s state of agni (digestive fire), āma (undigested material) and ojas (essence of life)
– Review the Assessment of digestion, tongue, stools and body odor as a means of identifying āma (undigested material) in the body
– Review the assessment of doṣa vikṛti (pathological condition)
– Review usage of herbs and spices for balancing agni (digestive fire) and eliminating ama (undigested material)
– Learn effective, safe and appropriate, application of diet, herbs, sensory therapies, exercise and heating and cooling treatments
Focus on nasal breathing, generating a light sweat, and exercising only to half capacity this week, daily possible, and journal about its effects.
Access the forum and answer 1 new student question about basic Ayurveda and perhaps in reference to common herbs and diet. Please copy/paste the question and your answer and submit to our homework via email.
Next week’s preliminary reading + worksheet
Read Textbook of Ayurveda Vol.
Ch. 1 pp. 25-27, Santarpana and Apartarpana
Ch.7 pp. 157-165, Introduction to Shodhana (skim over)
Ch. 14 pp. 425- 448, General management of doshas (Sama/Nirama) (* begin to read as we will continue into next class)
Ch. 7 pp. 179-188, Svedana (optional)